[EM] Poll Ballot, from Richard

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 17 23:14:51 PDT 2024

> However I wouldn’t call an RCV or STV ballot “spoiled” if it has
> equal-ranking. I’d instead just rank any equal-ranked candidates, at
> some particular rank-position, *in alphabetical-order by last-name*
>
> I figure the voter won’t mind, because he doesn’t have any preference
> among them.
>
> Is that okay?

No, that breaks some axiom that I think is called Anonymity.  The method
isn't allowed to discriminate among candidates based on their on their
names.

The simplest would be to construct a random tie-breaking order and just
transfer the whole vote to whichever of the equal-ranked candidates is
highest in the order.

For Hare I consider ideal would be to first divide the vote into tied
fractions summing to 1 to order the remaining candidates and then use
that order to transfer the whole vote.

I assume in the party-PR poll we are just supposed to give our
favourite. Is that correct?

Chris B.