[EM] Poll Ballot, from Richard

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 18:34:22 PDT 2024

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 16:55 Richard, the VoteFair guy <
electionmethods at votefair.org> wrote:

> Michael, here is my ballot.
>

> If you claim you need a full ranking, then I choose not to vote in this
> poll.

Richard—

Ballot recorded.

No, neither RP(wv), nor RCV, nor STV requires a full ranking. So your
ballot is perfectly technically valid & complete, as-is.

That's because I don't have time to research unfamiliar
> candidates and unfamiliar parties.

Of course, that’s a good reason to vote a short ranking or a 1-candidate
approval.

I & others voted that way in the voting-systems poll.

It would probably be as inappropriate as hell for the poll proposer &
conductor to comment on someone’s ballot.

But surely it would be okay for anyone here to reply to someone else’s
political comments, or evaluations of candidates & parties.

Such discussion is necessary, & there’s an understanding here that
“electioneering” is part of polling…or at least should be permissible. I
believe that it’s more than permissible: Discussion about why we vote as we
do, & the expression of contrary opinions, reactions or choices, are
essential.

But it probably wouldn’t be appropriate in the “official” reply that
acknowledges your ballot.

So I’ll reply in a separate post, immediately after this one.