[EM] Portland specifics, and ovals for approval cutoff

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 16 06:00:53 PDT 2024

 So it seems that this is because PAV is an elect-all-at-once method rather than sequential, as opposed to there being something special about PAV per se. Of course it might be computationally too expensive to run PAV optimally in a given election anyway. There is also Phragmen, which is more proportional than PAV anyway, I would say. PAV fails what I would consider to be the basic PR criterion for an approval method - passing perfect representation when the number of elected candidates is the same as the number of voters. Phragmen doesn't have as good monotonic properties as PAV though. It passes, but in a weaker sense.
Toby