[EM] Portland specifics, and ovals for approval cutoff

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 15:20:27 PDT 2024

Richard, I'd suggest taking a look at the newest version of Wikipedia's PSC
article (and the citations in there); nonpartisan PR algorithms other than
STV are a very new field of research, and we're just barely starting to
study what algorithms satisfy what proportionality axioms.

STV does try to put together a coalition, but this involves a very basic
greedy search for cohesive/solid coalitions that support a single group of
candidates. e.g. say a Hispanic Republican's preferences are something like
"vote for a Hispanic Republican, then non-Hispanic Republicans, then a
Hispanic Democrat"; whereas others Hispanic Republicans care more about
ethnicity than about party. In this situation, there's no solid coalition
for Hispanics *or* Republicans, so it's very prone to underrepresent one of
these groups. IIRC the EVC's proposal for a proportional STAR algorithm
works on basically the same principle, as does anything that assigns seats
sequentially/greedily, which is why I tend to dislike them; whereas PAV is
optimization-based, so it tends to find better apportionments across
cross-cutting coalitions. I think Schulze STV also satisfies similar
properties (but only locally, because global optimization across committees
requires voters to give candidates ratings).