[EM] Exactly what is the non-monotonicity demonstrated in the Alaska 2022 special election.

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 16:37:12 PDT 2024

When I say Begich got too many votes, I'm referring to the participation
failure: if you removed a bunch of Palin > Begich > Peltola votes, which
are votes for Begich over Peltola, the winner switches from Peltola to
Begich. The nonmonotonicity is that if Peltola had won more votes from
Palin supporters, she would have lost.

It seems like some of the complaints are about length, so how about
restoring it mostly to where it was after my most recent edit, and then
adding a bit more about center-squeeze to the body? Or maybe it can go into
Draft: Center Squeeze so people can read it from the link?

A major issue is the editor is trying to add in the word "some" to make it
sound like this was a vocal minority, rather than the general consensus
among people who have studied social choice theory; they're also removing
the intuitive description of a participation failure as a situation where a
candidate can lose as a result of winning too many votes.