[EM] Pairwise Median Rating

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Tue Jan 16 07:20:58 PST 2024

Ted,

>   3. Otherwise, drop ballots that don't contain ranks above last for
>        any member of the Smith Set.

Why not simply drop all ballots that make no distinction among members
of the Smith set?

> I believe it passes LNHelp.

Douglas Woodall showed some time ago that Condorcet and LNHelp are
incompatible.  I can't find
his proof, but it says so here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Later-no-help_criterion

> TheCondorcet criterion
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_criterion>is incompatible
> with later-no-help.

 From your post again:
> It probably fails Participation ..

It has been known (for a longer time) that Condorcet and Participation
are incompatible.

So since we know for sure that your method meets Condorcet, we also know
that it doesn't meet
Later-no-Help or Participation.

Using a multi-slot ratings ballot for a Condorcet method of similar
complexity I like:

*Eliminate  all candidates not in the Smith set.

Interpret each ballot as giving  approval to those remaining candidates
they rate above average (mean
of the ratings given to Smith-set members).

Now, using these approvals, elect the Margins-Sorted Approval winner.*

> Has Smith//Median Rating been proposed before?
Not that I know of.

Chris Benham