[EM] Question to the Condorcetists

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Thu Feb 29 12:57:23 PST 2024

On 2024-02-28 19:36, Closed Limelike Curves wrote:
> Can Condorcet be weakened to comply with participation? Condorcet
> methods have plenty of advantages, but systems failing participation are
> vulnerable to court challenges or being struck down as unconstitutional,
> as seen in Germany.

In the mathematical sense, there exists some voting method that
maximizes the probability that when a random election is chosen,
according to some election distribution, and that election has a CW,
then that CW is elected -- while still respecting participation. In that
sense, Condorcet can be weakened and such a method is the method that
weakens it the least.

But what it actually looks like, or what its algorithm would be like,
nobody knows. You could get a glimpse into how it behaves for low
numbers of voters and candidates by using a variant of my integer
programming approach, but it doesn't tell you much: it basically amounts
to a gigantic lookup table.

In general, determining the minimal relaxations of some criterion
required to pass some other criterion is very hard. I can really only
think of two examples: Schulze STV's resistance to vote management
except when it would conflict with Droop proportionality, and the
independence of strongly dominated alternatives criterion of River as a
monotone approximation to independence of covered alternatives. And I
don't think Jobst set out to make a method to be close to IoCA while
passing monotonicity, so Schulze's the only example I can think of where
the designer set out to find a relaxation of that sort.

-km