[EM] Is there a Good Clone Independent Election Method Based on VFA Style Ballots?

Joshua Boehme joshua.p.boehme at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 13:33:03 PST 2024

Two questions came to mind...

1. The cost function isn't symmetric. How do you translate it into a distance between two orderings, then? For example, if A is 70% for/30% against and B is 60%/40%, then the cost of going from A>B to B>A is 28% and vice versa is 18%.

2. Once you narrow it down to the two most-distant orderings, how do you pick the final one? Yes, it's probably "obvious" to a human, but you can't write a law or program that way. Once we have a rule to formalize that, though, why wouldn't we just directly use it to create a "better than" relationship for all the orderings instead of relying on a two-step process?