[EM] Is there a Good Clone Independent Election Method Based on VFA Style Ballots?

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Fri Feb 2 11:06:15 PST 2024

Forest,

Binomial STV allows voters to vote for and against candidates but it
depends on the number of seats, rather than voters actively deciding
they are for or against a candidate. Given five seats, the first five
orders of choice count more or less for those prefered candidates.
Preferences from 6 onwards count more and more against the candidates.

The vote looks like any other ranked choice but there are two
symmetrical rational counts by Meek method surplus transfer.: an
election count and a reversed preference exclusion count. This dispenses
with conventional STV "last past the post" exclusion when the election
surpluses run out. And dispenses with Meek quota reduction with abstentions.

All abstentions are counted, to establish the relative importance of
election or exclusion to the voters. So this rationalised Meek gets rid
of two weak features and adds one feature, that gives a conservation of
preference information by including counting the abstentions.

Binomial STV also has higher orders of count that might provide
systematic search efficiency for the seeker of representative
information, not only representatives.

Regards,

Richard Lung.