[EM] FPP-Approval hybrid

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 4 22:50:18 PDT 2024

Oops!  The definition I typed wasn't exactly what I meant.   The
fixed-up version:

I have an idea for simple method that I like much better than plain FPP
or Approval, and that voters accustomed to FPP might like.

*Voters indicate a single favourite candidate, and also may approve as
many other candidates as they wish.

If the FPP winner F's FPP score is higher than than the highest number
of approvals of any candidate on ballots that don't have F as a
favourite, then F wins. Otherwise the most approved candidate wins,*

Obviously candidates indicated as a "favourite" are also approved. The
FPP winner is the candidate that is voted as unique favourite on the
highest number of ballots.

This is my compromise idea for people who like FPP and are not turned on
by pure Approval or any decent ranking method. I rate it as much worse
than Hare, but some might not agree.

It meets Participation.  Unlike STAR, it meets "Second-place Favourite
Betrayal", meaning that the voter never has any incentive to vote their
sincere favourite below equal-second. Also the voter's incentive to
Compromise regarding their single Favorite vote is quite a bit weaker
than with plain FPP.  If the voter's unacceptable Greater Evil is among
the front-runners, then probably just approving all the other
front-runners and giving your single vote to your sincere favourite who
is not a front runner will be just as effective in stopping Greater Evil
as insincerely giving your single vote to Lesser Evil front runner.

It meets Irrelevant Ballot Independence.

My tentative name suggestion:  "Approval-enhanced First Preference
Plurality".

With just three candidates I think it gives Condorcet Winning Votes like
results.

49 A
24 B
27 C>B

In normal FPP (and some other methods that elect A) the C voters might
regret not voting for B.  But here on ballots that don't have A as a
favourite B's approval score is 51, higher than FPP winner A's FPP score
of 49.

So we don't elect the FPP winner A and instead elect the most approved
candidate B.

Chris B.