[EM] A proxy for Monroe's "strategic election of universally loathed candidates" criterion

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 10:26:13 PDT 2024

Thank you so much for all of your hard work+analysis Kris :)

> Smith passes DH2, but (surprisingly) Schwartz fails!

Could you clarify what you mean by Smith/Schwartz passing/failing?

————
That said, I'd like to offer some clarification. My concern isn't actually
with DH2 or DH3 scenarios. My point in our earlier discussion was I reject
two common frameworks for strategic analysis.

First, I reject the group strategy framework. In elections, hidden
communication is infeasible because of how many people you'd need to get in
on the conspiracy, and the secret ballot makes collusion impossible to
enforce. If group strategy was a reasonable model of voters, it wouldn't
matter which electoral system we picked, because the outcome would *always*
be a maximal lottery. What I find more meaningful is *individual*
 incentive-compatibility.

Second, I reject the idea of looking at individual scenarios like DH3 or
Burr, then judging if a voting system fails or succeeds in such a scenario.
(Or rather, using this to rule electoral systems in, not out). This feels
like declaring a theorem proven after trying a few numbers and not finding
a counterexample.

(The Burr dilemma should be the poster boy for this kind of bad strategic
analysis: it focuses on a single scenario, *and* on group strategy, *and* it
completely ignores the possibility of correlated equilibria and mixed
strategies...)

What I generally believe in is starting with a reasonable model
characterizing voting behavior, then identifying how the method performs
across all elections in this model. The two models I've gotten a lot of
mileage out of reading and studying are:
1. Myerson-Weber-style decisive vote models, where voters only care about
deciding an uncertain election.
2. Balinski and Laraki's *grading* model, where voters look to optimize the
score of candidates they support (because votes send signals about
popularity of different policies).

I do wonder if it's possible to get a system where the optimal strategy in
most elections is min-maxing, whereas with zero information the best
strategy is strict ranking (a real advantage of most ordinal methods). I
know there are incentive-compatible cardinal mechanisms in the
zero-information case (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geb.2017.04.012
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316805816_Ordinal_Versus_Cardinal_Voting_Rules_A_Mechanism_Design_Approach>).
Later-no-help+no favorite betrayal would be enough to guarantee min-maxing
with perfect information.