[EM] My Preliminary Ballot for the Voting Systems Poll

Joshua Boehme joshua.p.boehme at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 03:08:06 PDT 2024

Here's my preliminary ballot. Many of these systems weren't initially familiar to me, so this ordering would potentially change if I invested even more time yet into understanding them.

I didn't rank Max Strength Transitive Beatpath. I have a strong suspicion that it's equivalent to a system that already exists in the literature under a different name, but the nominator provided only a short description and didn't respond to my follow-up question.

Yes, I ranked IRV below plurality. I don't think the incremental improvement in outcomes is worth the extra voting/tabulating complexity. Other IRV variants did better, though. Similarly, beatpath (Schulze) ranks much worse than it would if the poll were asking about pure theoretical merit.

Also, for what it's worth, any decent proportional method is vastly preferable in virtually any situation where multi-winner outcomes make sense. Those situations are the exception, but at least picking a legislative/deliberative body is one important common situation where they do make sense. A repeated decision -- e.g., where should our department go to lunch today? -- is the only other broad category I can think of offhand.

Approval
RP(wv)
STAR
Woodall
Smith//DAC
--- approval cutoff ---
Minimax(wv)
RCIPE
Benham
Margins-Sorted Approval
Smith//Approval (explicit - specified approval cutoff)
Approval with manual runoff
Margins-Sorted Minimum Losing Votes (equal-rated whole)
Smith//Approval (implicit - of all ranked)
Double Defeat, Hare
Gross Loser Elimination aka Raynaud
Beatpath aka Schulze
Schwartz-Woodall
Smith//Score
Majority Judgement
Plurality
IRV
Black
Baldwin
Copeland//Borda (also called Ranked Robin)