[EM] Droop compared with Hare Quota

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Thu Apr 25 01:52:23 PDT 2024

The Hare quota gives maximum proportional representation. The Droop
quota gives minimum proportional representation. The reason why we have
the Droop quota at all is because career politicians wouldn’t tolerate
the competition of large multi-member constituencies.

Droop is not an improvement on Hare, except in the eyes of monopolistic
politicians. However both quotas are to some extent undemocratic.
Candidates may be elected to the Droop quota without a statistically
significant margin of victory over rival candidates.

Whereas the Hare quota, in relatively small constituencies, cannot elect
candidates at all, without the deference of some voters, over their
personal wishes, say, for some party line, or according to some
religious instruction.

To overcome the mutual democratic deficiencies of both the Hare quota
and the Droop quota, I introduced their Harmonic Mean quota
(votes/(seats+1/2) since the average of harmonic series is the harmonic
mean. (It is one of the four averages, in my voting method, FAB STV:
Four Averages Binomial Single Transferablee Vote.)

I discovered later that my harmonic mean quota was the equivalent of
Webster/St Lague apportionment. So I have no reason to believe that
divisor systems are any better than quota systems. They are just
complementary means of reckoning.

Divisor methods (mis)applied to party list systems divide the voters
into conflicting herds. Because, these voting methods lack a
transferable vote to express unity as well as division.

  Regards,

Richard Lung