[EM] Droop compared with Hare Quota

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 18:38:42 PDT 2024

Funnily enough, I'm actually thinking that wiki article needs to be
rewritten from scratch (probably into a section on a broader article on
electoral quotas). It doesn't do a very good job of going over the
tradeoffs between the two quotas, which are:
1. Droop preserves majorities. (A candidate with a majority of the vote
will always win a majority of seats.)
2. Droop is less vulnerable to strategy, because a Droop quota can always
enforce their preferences over another candidate (if a Droop quota prefers
A to B, then bullet voting A ensures A has more support than B).
3. Hare is *unbiased*, making it more proportional than Droop; every party
will, on average, receive a number of seats proportional to their share of
the vote. Droop is biased towards large parties.
4. Anti-Droop (nonstandard name; divide by n-1 instead of n+1) will always
preserve minorities (a party with less than a majority of the vote will
always receive less than a majority of the seats). Anti-Droop is biased
towards small parties. I've never seen a serious proposal for it.

Most mathematicians consider quota methods inferior to divisor methods in
general; HH+Webster satisfy quota in practice anyways.