[EM] Poll, preliminary ballots

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 24 13:46:47 PDT 2024

Richard,

> In Australia your voters write a ranking number (for each candidate)
> in a box.  So you only need one box per candidate.
>
> Here in Oregon we use a pen to fill in empty ovals on a paper ballot.

So why not change to writing numbers in boxes?  Aren't the voters there
numerate?  (And wouldn't that use less paper?)

> As a result, ballot "real estate" prevents us from printing as many
> choice columns as candidates.

With that limitation my enthusiasm for both IRV and Benham evaporates.
Instead I would recommend Smith//Approval(implicit) with of course
equal-ranking allowed.  That might be my high Social Utility
bang-for-buck champion in any case.

> IRV's rule of assuming the candidate with the fewest highest-ranking
> marks is least popular is the "body" that isn't well designed.

Let me offer two versions of Hare (aka IRV) explaining its
motivation/justification as an improvement on FPP (aka the Single
Non-Transferable Vote, aka plurality).

*1. I see plurality has a "spoiler" problem and sometimes the winner
doesn't get a "majority". I'll fix that by one-at-a-time eliminating
weak candidates because I'm too stupid to realise that causes mono-raise
(aka monotonicity) failure, and my measure of weakness will be
favourite-of-the-fewest-among-remaining- candidates because I'm lazy and
simple-minded and too stupid to realise that causes failure of Condorcet.

So I really am a very badly designed and flawed method, so even STAR is
better and nearly every Condorcet method is much better in every way.

2.  The SNTV meets Dominant Candidate (meaning that a candidate X that
is voted below no others on a number of ballots that is greater than X's
maximum pairwise opposition must win), and Later-no-Harm and
Later-no-Help and Clone-Loser and Mono-add-top and the Plurality
criterion.  In these ways I refuse to be worse. But unfortunately SNTV
fails Clone-Winner and (therefore) Dominant Coalition.  I will fix that
without losing any of those previously mentioned good properties.

So I am doing that in the only way possible. Therefore I am well
designed method and not "flawed".  Any modification of my algorithm or
any kludge stuck on me will cause me to lose some of my good properties.
For example forcing me to meet the Condorcet criterion will cause me to
fail Later-no-Harm, Later-no-Help and Mono-add-Top.  If you don't share
my criteria priorities you don't have to like me, but maybe you now have
some idea why some people like and/or respect me.*

Guess which one I think is correct.   "Dominant Candidate" and "Dominant
Coalition" are irrelevant ballot independent (stronger) versions of
Majority and Mutual Majority (aka Majority for Solid Coalitions) that I
coined.

Chris B.