[EM] Poll, preliminary ballots

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 14:14:42 PDT 2024

> Condorcet methods require explaining pairwise comparisons between every
> candidate and every other candidate.  That's a significant disadvantage
> for voter education.  And voter understanding.  And voter trust.

In contrast, I have never heard anyone claim that a pairwise losing

candidate doesn't deserve to be eliminated.

Isn't that describing pairwise-comparison?

I don't think pairwise-comparison methods are complicated. In fact, they're
mostly simple. The problem is that the people who keep explaining are
computer scientists who care more about explaining their fastest
algorithmic implementation than about properly communicating what's going
on.

Even *Schulze* isn't that complicated compared to IRV. Here's
<https://democracychronicles.org/schulze-questioning-a-popular-ranked-voting-system/>
lightly-edited description from @Michael Ossipoff <email9648742 at gmail.com> (I
rename "beatpaths" to "vote-chains" to let me use a common aphorism).
Imagine if Schulze described his method like this when he first proposed it:

> I'd like to propose a voting method I call the *weakest link* *method*. It's
> based on the idea of allowing candidates to count *indirect wins*. In
> other words, if a candidate Alice beats Bob, and Bob beats Charlie, then
> Alice is thought of as having "indirectly" beaten Charlie. Here's how I
> define this:

1. If X beats Y, then the strength of that victory is measured by the
> number of voters ranking X over Y.
> 2. Candidates are allowed to beat each other indirectly, too. We say X has
> an indirect win, or* votechain-win*, going to Y if either most people
> rank X over Y, or if X beats someone with a votechain to Y.
> 3. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. So, the strength of a
> votechain is the strength of the weakest victory in that votechain.

4. If there is a stronger votechain from X to Y, than from Y to X, then X
> has a votechain-win over Y.
> 5. The winner is the candidate with a votechain-win over everyone else.

Sincerely,

Markus Schulze with better communication skills

It's... really not that complicated to understand. Now, let's take a look
at how it's explained on Wikipedia:
[image: image.png]
Two words in and we're already using LaTeX and at least three different
one-letter variable names. All hope of reaching the average person has been
lost. The problem isn't with the methods, it's with all of these methods
being written as though they were mathematical papers rather than being
intended for the public.

Tongue-in-cheek proposal: anyone on this mailing list who's gotten into
arguments about winning votes vs. margins, whether cardinal methods *really*
satisfy IIA because some people normalize their ballots, etc. is hereby
disqualified from talking to any normal person (on pain of causing more
damage to the public's understanding of voting methods).