[EM] Poll, preliminary ballots

Richard, the VoteFair guy electionmethods at votefair.org
Sat Apr 20 10:30:57 PDT 2024

On 4/19/2024 1:15 AM, Chris Benham wrote:

 > ... It is not garbage like STAR.
 > ... STAR is a horrible method that is very highly
 > vulnerable to both Compromise and Pushover.

Horrible, yes.  Garbage, no, because it's a clever way to improve
single-winner score voting.  It's useful among friends when voting is
not anonymous.  Or when "dishonest" exaggeration cannot be hidden.

 > If there are "failure types" in need of names, what's stopping you from
 > giving them names? ...

Time and money.  Unlike two STAR promoters, the folks at FairVote, and
academic professors, I'm not getting paid to promote or advance
election-method reform.

 >>   Approval voting requires tactical voting.  There's no way to avoid it.
 > The strategic burden on the voter is certainly no greater than with
 > FPP.  ...

Our goal is to rise way above plurality.  Accepting limitations of
plurality is unnecessary.

Why impose any strategic burden on the voter?

 >> Another difference from IRV is about what FairVote calls "overvotes."
 >> RCIPE counts them correctly.  ...
 > I think it is reasonable to treat ballots that (against the ballot
 > rules) equal-rank above bottom as though they truncated at that point.
 > Doing otherwise (as I think you advocate) without a quite complex
 > procedure I suggest makes the method a bit more vulnerable to Push-over
 > strategy.

I and most voters want to be able to rank an evil candidate -- Gollum,
Voldemoron, etc. -- below all other candidates.  Truncation means the
evil candidate is as acceptable as other "bad" candidates.

I've written code that correctly counts so-called "overvotes."  It's not
a "complex procedure":

https://github.com/cpsolver/VoteFair-ranking-cpp/blob/master/rcipe_stv.cpp

 >> Avoiding any failures in REAL elections is what I'm "buying" by
 >> advocating RCIPE instead of IRV.
 > I'm still baffled as to why, if you don't like Condorcet failures, you
 > don't simply advocate a Condorcet method. How is the argument "Let's
 > lose strict compliance with several criteria met by IRV so that we can
 > somewhat more often elect the Condorcet winner" better than
 > "Let's lose strict compliance with several criteria met by IRV so that
 > we can ALWAYS elect the Condorcet winner"??

I'm bothered by the failures in Burlington and Alaska.  But those were
not just Condorcet failures.  They also were IIA failures,
center-squeeze failures, etc.

I want fewer failures in real elections.  I don't care about convoluted
scenarios that would never occur in a real election.

Again, thank you for this useful discussion.  I appreciate that you
really want to understand why I rank some methods better than others.

Richard Fobes
The VoteFair guy