[EM] Poll, preliminary ballots

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Fri Apr 19 01:15:13 PDT 2024

Richard,

> I regard HOW OFTEN failures occur to be much more important than a
> checkbox that says "yes" or "no" failures of this kind NEVER occur.
Given that voting methods are mostly simple and cut-and-dried and so
plenty of 100% guarantees that criterion failures NEVER occur are
available, I find the approach "Near enough is good enough! I am an
expert. I've done a computer simulation" to be suspicious and flaky.
That attitude can lead to people switching off their brains and
swallowing BS propaganda from say STAR advocates.

> It's easy to overlook the many failures that do not fit within NAMED
> failure types.  Those unnamed kinds of failures are being ignored

If there are "failure types" in need of names, what's stopping you from
giving them names?  Several of the voting methods criteria I uphold and
promote are ones I coined myself.

> Avoiding any failures in REAL elections is what I'm "buying" by
> advocating RCIPE instead of IRV.
I'm still baffled as to why, if you don't like Condorcet failures, you
don't simply advocate a Condorcet method. How is the argument "Let's
lose strict compliance with several criteria met by IRV so that we can
somewhat more often elect the Condorcet winner" better than
"Let's lose strict compliance with several criteria met by IRV so that
we can ALWAYS elect the Condorcet winner"??

> Another difference from IRV is about what FairVote calls "overvotes."
> RCIPE counts them correctly.  That could become a huge deal in the
> upcoming Portland election for mayor -- where two or more marks in the
> same "choice" column will be ignored as if those marks were not on the
> ballot.
I think it is reasonable to treat ballots that (against the ballot
rules) equal-rank above bottom as though they truncated at that point.
Doing otherwise (as I think you advocate) without a quite complex
procedure I suggest makes the method a bit more vulnerable to Push-over
strategy.

> I recognize that IRV's flaw is that the candidate with the fewest
> transferred votes is not always the least popular -- as demonstrated in
> Burlington and Alaska.
IRV (properly implemented, with unrestricted strict ranking from the
top) doesn't have any "flaws". It simply fails some criteria that some
people like so that it can meet other criteria that some people like. As
Woodall put it, it has a "maximal set of properties".
It is not garbage like STAR.

>   Approval voting requires tactical voting.  There's no way to avoid it.
The strategic burden on the voter is certainly no greater than with
FPP.  With FPP the best strategy is to vote for your favourite among the
candidates you think have a realistic chance of winning. With Approval
you just do the same thing and then also approve every candidate you
like as much or better. An alternative is the simple "surprise"
strategy: approve any given candidate X if you would be pleasantly
surprised if X won or unpleasantly surprised if X lost.

It's a huge "bang-for-buck" improvement on FPP.  But I'm not a big fan
either.

> * STAR ballots are a dead-end ballot type.  (Always six columns, even
> when there are three or four candidates.  And always with the star icon,
> no thanks!)

I find this objection to be  superficial and just about style.  A lot of
ok methods can be happily used with 6-slot ratings ballots, such as say
ABCDEF grading ballots. STAR is a horrible method that is very highly
vulnerable to both Compromise and Pushover.

I welcome any comments you may have have about my poll favourite,
Approval Sorted Margins.  Or anything else related to my most recent ballot.

Chris