[EM] Poll, preliminary ballots

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 17 23:58:45 PDT 2024

Richard,

I have a few questions and comments on your ballot with accompanying
remarks.

I have trouble understanding the motivation behind "RCIPE".   It seems
to me that it must
elect the Condorcet winner unless, initially or after one or more
eliminations, there is a bottom
cycle (and thus no Condorcet Loser) in which case it is possible that
the Condorcet winner will
have the fewest top-choice votes and be eliminated.

And that is why it fails Clone-Loser, because the candidates in the
bottom cycle cycle could be a
set of clones and if they were replaced with a single candidate then
there would be a Condorcet
loser who would be eliminated instead of possibly the Condorcet winner.

I find this all very odd, and I'm not sure what you are"buying" in
comparison with plain Hare (aka IRV).

Unlike RCIPE, it meets Clone Independence and Later-no-Help and
Later-no-Harm and already meets
Condorcet Loser.  So you are trashing quite a bit just to get a bit more
"Condorcet efficiency".

Why do you think that RP(wv) and Schulze are significantly different
from each other?  There needs
to be more than 3 candidates in the top cycle (aka Smith set) for them
to give different winners and
I gather that even in that very rare circumstance they usually give the
same winner.

And why do you think that MinMax(wv) is better than either? Doesn't it
fail Smith and Clone Independence?

Why do you think Woodall is better than Benham?

What is the (or your) definition of "Schwartz-Woodall" ?    And what do
you think is the positive point of it
compared with plain Woodall?

Chris B.