[EM] Hare (aka IRV) versus STAR

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 12:55:40 PDT 2024

Wait, 45% of the ballots in this election violate the
strictly-single-peaked assumption. Center seems to be just as
polarizing/hated as Left and Right. Under these ballots, "center" isn't a
centrist candidate, he's some kind of third position. (Maybe you could get
this result if you had a fascist/populist running against extremely
polarized conservatives and liberals? You need some kind of circular
ideological spectrum for this election to happen with sincere ballots.)

So I have no intuition for who should win, because this isn't a
single-dimensional election. If the ballots are perfectly honest, your
"Right" candidate should win because he's the optimal-utility candidate.
The single-peaked preference assumption is violated too badly for Condorcet
to be a good guide here.