[EM] Poll on voting-systems, to inform voters in upcoming enactment-elections

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Fri Apr 12 15:50:06 PDT 2024

On 2024-04-12 19:42, Richard Lung wrote:

>  From the K.M. quote, I gather that the answer was "yes," single member
> systems. Perhaps Schulze STV was on the list. From Wikipedia it is said
> to be similar to CPO-STV which uses Condorcet pairing. This however does
> seem to be an elimination procedure of sorts.

Yes, the current poll is about single-member systems.

On your other point: while CPO-STV *is* an elimination method, Schulze
STV is not. Schulze STV works by comparing outcomes (ways to elect the
required number of winners) that differ by one candidate. It then
generalizes the Schulze method to find the best outcome based on these
comparisons. I'm not quite sure how the comparison function works: it
uses linear optimization. But there's no sequential elimination of
candidates.

> At any rate conventional STV, whether or not including Schulze, do not
> appear to be in the poll, which hardly suggests a unitary approach to
> election method. Besides still not affording a general election method.

I'm not saying that the poll is about unified methods, just that if
(say) Schulze wins the poll, then that doesn't immediately preclude one
from considering multi-winner methods since anybody who thinks Schulze
is the best single-winner method could view it as just a special case of
Schulze STV.

> Cardinal voting methods (the cumulative voting family) confound the vote
> (of individual choice) with the count (of community choice.

I don't know what that means, unfortunately. You're using terminology
that I don't understand.

-km