[EM] Hare (aka IRV) versus STAR

Michael Garman michael.garman at rankthevote.us
Thu Apr 11 02:57:49 PDT 2024

>> Greens & Bernie nearly always CW.  Republicans consistently, always,
finishing at the  very bottom. That would take a lot of sampling bias.

And I'm willing to bet there's a lot of sampling bias in who takes an
online STAR poll.

>> I’ve never, ever, been asked or invited to vote in a mass-media poll
that allowed a Green as a choice. …& nearly all mass media polls ask whom
you’d vote for it were today.

Of the polls conducted in the last three weeks (per the FiveThirtyEight
aggregator <https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/>)

17 of 28 ask about third-party candidates (all but three of those including
West and all but four including Stein).

Not one shows Stein or West cracking double digits. Even the nutcase
Kennedy doesn't get above 15% or so anywhere.

>> You’re probably referring to vote %. Right, because you’re going to vote
for Joe. ..& then say it means something when Greens get few votes.  :-)

Correct. I'm not going to vote for someone who has no chance of winning.
I'm aware that it's a collective action problem, but it's not one I can
solve singlehandedly -- or one that can be resolved within the existing
electoral system, which isn't going to change in time for the 2024
election.

>> How very odd, then, that it was reported as doing the opposite :-)

I misspoke. You're right. Point is that it didn't cost Nader the election.

>> …  because you’re voting for Biden.

Because the candidates who have qualified for the ballot in my state are
Biden and Trump. That's it. I didn't vote for Joe in the primary.