[EM] Hare (aka IRV) versus STAR

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 10 19:59:36 PDT 2024

> e.g. If there are unacceptable candidates, then just give max to the
> acceptables, & zero to the unacceptables.

Because STAR is much more vulnerable to Pushover than Hare, that may not
always be the best strategy.  You might do better
to give max or near-max to an an unacceptable (or more than one) that
won't pairwise beat the anticipated acceptable
finalist.

And/or you may do better to give one or more of the acceptables zero so
as to keep them out of the final where they will lose to
unacceptable.

You are torn between trying to get two acceptables into the final versus
trying to get the acceptable versus unacceptable
match-up that will most likely result in the acceptable winning. And if
you are trying to do the latter you are torn between giving
max to a turkey unacceptable (to maximise his/her chance of making it
into the final) and giving near-max (to maximise the chance
that the turkey doesn't win in the final).

> IRV? Try to rank the acceptables in order of winnability. …trying &
> hoping to match the ranking-order of the other preferrers of some of
> your acceptables.

It sounds like you are talking about a situation where there are no
known clear front-runners and the supporters of the candidates you deem
acceptable don't
fully agree with you about which candidates are acceptable and which are
not.

Because if they do agree with you then they will all just vote the same
set of acceptable candidates above all the others and benefit from the
method's compliance with
Clone-Winner.  And if there are known front-runners and you insist on
voting super-safe then  I suppose you can top-rank the same Compromise
candidate you
would in FPP.

Not a big burden to lose sleep over and nothing like the STAR
nightmare.  Overall the strategic risk of voting sincerely in Hare is
much lower.

Chris