[EM] Express any wish for democratic choice of poll-parameters. Do-able if desired.

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 16:58:22 PDT 2024

When proposing this poll, I assumed that people would prefer the simplest &
least elaborate poll-proposal.

I wasn’t trying to be autocratic or favor my favorites when I suggested
Schulze & Approval as the polling-methods. Schulze isn’t my favorite
Condorcet anyway, but it’s popular.

So I suggested what seem to have been the 2 favorite methods at EM.

But it could be that I was wrong about that, because maybe the favorite has
changed.

Or maybe, contrary to what I assumed, SIMPLE & STREAMLINED aren’t as
desired as much as DEMOCRATIC or THOROUGH or ALL-INCLUSIVE.

A few people have suggested different methods for the polling.
Democratically choosing that poll-parameter is easily achievable if people
so desire.

All that’s necessary is for a few people to express that wishes in this
thread. If a few do, then there’d be justification for proposing a vote on
the polling-method parameter. I hesitate to propose that vote now, with
only two people having hinted about it—otherwise I’d propose such a vote
now.

So, if anyone would like for us all to democratically choose the poll’s
voting method, then please either make that proposal, or express that wish,
because it’s easily do-able.

In the meantime, let me comment on 2 possibilities for that purpose,

…& a possible (but not yet proposed) 3-alternative vote among those 2
possibilities & the default stays quo (Schulze & Approval, with Schulze
predominant).

The Schulze & Approval status-quo, I’ll call “alternative #1.

Alternative # 2:

I don’t think you’ll like this one, because it takes twice as long,
requiring 2 polls—the 1st one to choose the method for the 2nd one.

Of course that vote could be conducted immediately… like right now if
desired.

To save some time, the existing nominations, + any additional ones, could
be regarded as being for the 1st of those 2 votes.

What method for the 1st vote? I suggest Schulze, due to its long popularity
here.

There isn’t much more to say about Alternative #2.

Alternative #3:

A long time ago I conducted an EM poll by a method that I call “Voter’s
Choice”. It doesn’t require any agreement or choice on a method with which
to start:

Voter’s Choice:

Each voter indicates 1) A method for the poll;

& 2) a ballot for at least that method, & optionally also ballots for 1 or
more other methods that others might specify, if those other methods
require different balloting.

e.g. Right now there’s interest in ranked-methods, Approval, & Smiih//Score
(which requires both a ranking & a Score ballot). So then, if you yourself
have specified a ranked-method, you post a ranking. …with the option of
additionally adding an Approval-ballot & maybe a Score-ballot (for
Smith//Score).  But you needn’t add those others unless you want to.

What if the person specifying Smith//Score is the only person who posts a
Score-ballot?

No problem!! …as will be seen below, in the description of how that ballot
+ method-specification is counted:

Whatever method you’ve specified for the count, that’s the method that
you’re counted as approving down to. …in the base-method, which is Approval.

Of course, optimally, on should approve (only) down to the CW.

So, the optimality & effectiveness of automated Approval-vote depends on
the Condorcet-efficiency of your specified-method.

Optionally, you can, instead of specifying a count-method, indicate
“Manual”, indicating that, instead of the automated Approval-vote, you want
to have-counted for you the Approval-vote that you have posted.

So, if only one person posts a Score-ballot, then, automatically, his
top-scored candidate wins the Smith//Score count, & so he is counted as
approving down to his top-scored candidate.

If that sounds elaborate, it’s all reasonable & logical, with nothing
arbitrary or unexpected.

It eliminates Alternative #2’s need two elections, & it doesn’t require any
agreement on a method for counting the poll.

That’s Alternative #3.

If anyone proposes, or indicates preference for, a 3-way vote, immediately,
among alternatives #1, #2, & #3, then let’s take a quick vote on that
immediately.

…by what method?

Either Schulze ( because of its long popularity) or by Voter’s Choice.

Whichever one gets more thumbs up…either figuratively or 👍

I’m not actually proposing that 3-way vote, but I’m inviting anyone who
wants a democratic choice of polling-method to say so, & we can then
proceed with it.

I’m agreeable to that if it’s desired. If no one wants to go that route,
that’s fine too, & that means that you want to just stay with Schulze &
Approval, as initially proposed. The choice is yours—as of course it should
be.

In case people prefer a vote among those 3 alternatives, here’s my ballot
for that vote:

If it’s to be counted by Schulze:

1. Alternative #1
2. Alternative #3
3. Alternative #2

(Of course, with 3 candidates, Schulze = MinMax(wv). )

If it’s to be counted by Voter’s Choice:

Specified method: MinMax(wv)

Ranking:

1. Alternative #1
2. Alternative #3