[EM] Poll on voting-systems, to inform voters in upcoming enactment-elections

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 20:20:30 PDT 2024

On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 4:33 PM James Gilmour <jamesgilmour at f2s.com> wrote:

> There's some muddled thinking here.

Let's not be too quick to be sure that we're right. Remember what Dunning &
Kruger said.

> If you are electing a president or a mayor, you will use a single-winner
> election method.
>
> If you are electing a "representative assembly" like a parliament or town
> council, you would use (should use) a multi-winner election method.

Wrong. You will use what's legal (or of course change Congressional
statute, for which there's no such thing as initiatives), &, in any case
what can be most quickly & easily enacted. There's some urgency, &
soon-enacstability counts very much.

As I mentioned, multimember Congressional districts are illegal here, by
federal law, which isn't subject to initiatives.

> Only by using a multi-winner method can you begin to ensure that the
> elected assembly is properly representative of those who voted.

Dream on. That's farther away & more distantly attainable.  I'd prefer PR
for Congress. In fact, I'd prefer a party-list PR Parliament...no
president. But it seems things can't always be as I'd prefer. Single-winner
reform is what's more attainable sooner here. As I mentioned "Soon" is
importan.

> So before you hold your "Poll on voting systems", you must define the
> purpose of the election for which the voting system is to be used.

It's to be used for all single-winner races, including
single-member-district Congressional seats, because it isn't easy to change
federal-law. How many Democrat or Republican Congressmemembers are willing
to allow PR?  Bill Clinton fired Lani Guinier because she was a PR
advocate. He said he fired her because PR is "antidemocratic".

What, then elect a different party to Congress, to get the law changed?
How possible do you think that is here?  That, too, goes into the "Dream
On" category..

Non-Republocrat parties are struggling for ballot-access, which can only be
achieved at great expense, separately in each of the 50 states. Everything
is against anyone other than a Republican or Democrat being elected...&
onlly one that toes the antidemocratic line.

So, kndly don't be so quick & glib with your criticisms.