[EM] Poll on voting-systems, to inform voters in upcoming enactment-elections

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sat Apr 6 09:40:27 PDT 2024

On 2024-04-06 16:33, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
> Kristofer, what method should be used to poll on the preference on methods?

For the ranked ballots, I'd just use one of the defeat-droppers. I
imagine that they would all lead to the same result up to ties. I like
Ext-Minmax[1] myself because it has a very low tie rate, but again, I
think anything would do.

If there's a cycle, I'd report the Smith set.

Rob LeGrand's ranked-ballot voting calculator, listed at
https://electowiki.org/wiki/Online_poll, can both do Minmax and identify
the Smith set. It can't do Ext-Minmax, but it should be relatively easy
to verify the order by eyeballing the Condorcet matrix if that becomes
an issue.

As I understood it, Mike also wanted to do an Approval poll by asking us
to submit Approval ballots alongside the ranked ones. For these, the
method would be Approval itself. I probably wouldn't ask for an Approval
poll if I were running it, but it doesn't bother me if one's included
either.

-km

[1] Ext-Minmax is just: the winner is the candidate with the least worst
pairwise defeat. Break remaining ties by second worst defeats, third
worst defeats, etc.