[EM] Poll on voting-systems, to inform voters in upcoming enactment-elections

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sat Apr 6 05:46:06 PDT 2024

That may be so. As a matter of fact, it is possible to use STV in single
member constituencies, tho not of course possible to have PR in single
member constituencies. How it can work, very basically, is if the STV
comprises both an election count and an exclusion count. Then the
election is determined by over-all keep values (with the exclusion count
inverted for a second-opinion election count.)  So called first order
Binomial STV is  thereby shown to be a consistnt system. But any single
member system is, as Robert Newland said, "only half a democracy."

We need to get away from single elections. The string of US presidents,
keeping the futile Vietnam war going (as portrayed in the Spielberg
film, The Post) and other cases like the second Iraq War, proves the
point that political monarchies or monopolies of power are to be
avoided. The president should be a chairman of a generously
proportionally elected cabinet.

Regards,

Richard Lung.

On 06/04/2024 12:51, James Gilmour wrote:
> I don't think any "open-ended" question could give clear and  > unambiguous results. For that you need two separate polls: one on >
election methods for single-winner elections; the other, separate >
poll, on election methods for multi-winner elections. James Gilmour > >
 >> -----Original Message----- From: Election-Methods >>
[mailto:election-methods-bounces at lists.electorama.com] On Behalf Of >>
Joshua Boehme Sent: 05 April 2024 22:05 To: 'EM' >>
<election-methods at lists.electorama.com> Subject: Re: [EM] Poll on >>
voting-systems, to inform voters in upcoming enactment-elections >> >>
 >> I had a similar thought. If the question is more open-ended, maybe
 >> adding "(if applicable)" to the proportional representation option
 >> would make it clearer. (My thought process here is that one of the
 >> goals of this poll is to summarize current thinking for >>
*non*-experts, so extra little nudges of explanation can help.) >> >> >>
On 4/5/24 16:14, James Gilmour wrote: >>> There's some muddled thinking
here. >>> >>> If you are electing a president or a mayor, you will use a
 >>> single-winner election method. >>> >>> If you are electing a
"representative assembly" like a parliament >>> or town council, you
would use (should use) a multi- >> winner election method. Only be using
a multi-winner method can >> you begin to ensure that the elected
assembly is properly >> representative of those who voted. >>> >>> So
before you hold your "Poll on voting systems", you must define >>> the
purpose of the election for which the voting >> system is to be used.
Message----- From: Election-Methods >>>>
[mailto:election-methods-bounces at lists.electorama.com] On >>>> Behalf Of
Kristofer Munsterhjelm Sent: 05 April 2024 18:55 To: >>>> Filip Ejlak
<tersander at gmail.com>; EM >>>> <election-methods at lists.electorama.com>
Subject: Re: [EM] Poll >>>> on voting-systems, to inform voters in
upcoming >>>> enactment-elections >>>> >>>> On 2024-04-05 16:03, Filip
Ejlak wrote: >>>>> First thing: it's surprising how all the options that
have >>>>> been mentioned are single-winner methods, despite the poll
multi-winner options allowed as well, or should this be a >>>>>
different poll? Because it needs to be said that _every >>>>>
legislative election needs proportional representation_. I >>>>> guess
any single-winner method, no matter how good, will be >>>>> bad in
comparison with a PR method. So if multi-winner >>>>> options were
allowed in the poll, I would nominate *STV *(a >>>>> Condorcet-compliant
variant would be better if there was any >>>>> polynomial one with good
recognition; an optional indirect >>>>> element - like GVT, but strongly
improved - would also be >>>>> nice). >>>>> >>>>> And speaking of
single-winner methods, in my opinion >>>>> *Woodall* and *Benham* seem
to be the best, at least among >>>>> the well-known ones. While Woodall
(especially Schwartz >>>>> Woodall) is perhaps marginally better, Benham
is so easy to >>>>> explain (and it's a very obvious/natural way to make
IRV >>>>> actually good) that it should be seriously considered by >>>>>
voting reform campaigners. So I'd like to nominate these >>>>> two. >>>>
single-winner methods, it would still be useful to have a "use >>>>
multiwinner PR instead" option, to see how well it would do >>>>
compared to the single-winner methods. >>>> >>>> I'd also suggest the
following methods: >>>> >>>> Majority Judgement (as a category; includes
usual judgement >>>> etc.) Approval with manual runoff (since it has
seen actual >>>> use) Copeland//Borda (proposed by Equal Vote) >>>> >>>>
and to echo Joshua Boehme, I'd also like to know what it's a >>>> poll
of: the theoretically best method, the one with best >>>> chance of
passing a reform effort, most bang for the buck, or >>>> something else?
compliance reduces the chaos you would otherwise get from >>>>
elimination. It tends to have somewhat of a center bias within >>>> the
"clusters" (solid coalitions entitled representation by >>>> Droop >>
proportionality), but that might not be too bad if it deters >>
extremist kingmaker scenarios. >>>> (You'd do a ranked pairs election
every time you've elected >>>> someone and eliminated him from the
ballots, then eliminate >>>> from the RP loser up until someone exceeds
the quota, then >>>> elect him, distribute surpluses, and do a new RP
election, and >>>> so on.) >>>> >>>> -km > > ---- Election-Methods
Newland said "only half a democracy."