[EM] Poll on voting-systems, to inform voters in upcoming enactment-elections

KenB kdbearman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 16:04:05 PDT 2024

On 4/5/2024 4:33 PM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
> right now there is just Democrat and Republican in the U.S. that have
> state primaries
= = = = =
[KB]  At the moment, Minnesota has three "major" parties.  (We had four
until the 2022 election.)  So each of them is entitled by law to be on
primary ballots, including the Presidential Nominating Primary we had on
Super Tuesday.

The continued existence of major party status for the third of them,
however, is subject to a MN Supreme Court case that's pending.  It
should be decided before the timelines for our August statewide primary.

-- -- --

On 4/5/2024 5:32 PM, Michael Ossipoff wrote:
> Many EM members are in the U.S., where multi-member
> congressional-districts are illegal.
= = = = =
[KB]  Yes, but multi-member state legislative districts are legal to my
knowledge, at least in some states.  And gerrymandered state
legislatures are a serious problem for democracy in a lot of states.

   - Ken Bearman, Minneapolis MN