[EM] Poll on voting-systems, to inform voters in upcoming enactment-elections

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 15:32:16 PDT 2024

With the nomination of Benham, Woodall & Schwartz Woodall, 11 methods have
now been nominated so far:

In the order in which they were nominated:

Approval
RP(wv)
Schulze
IRV
Plurality (Vote-For-1)
MinMax(wv)
Black
Baldwin
Benham
Woodall
Schwartz-Woodall

Yes, I should have specified this: This is a poll about single-winner
methods.

Multi-winner methods should be a separate poll.

Though PR is discussed here too, single-winner methods have always been the
main topic here.

Reasons why:

Many EM members are in the U.S., where multi-member congressional-districts
are illegal.

People in PR countries have good reason to be satisfied with their
electoral-system, & not looking for reform.

When I suggested what became EM, I proposed it by the name Singe-Winner
Committee.

What would I prefer?

An at-large (no districts, no gerrymandering) proportional Parliament (no
president), elected by Sainte-Lague (SL) or Bias-Free (BF). SL has long
precedent & great obvious natural simplicity. …& is very nearly unbiased,
with no significant amount of bias (minuscule bias towards the large).

But, in practice I might well propose d’Hondt (DH) because it’s
predominant. The differences among those 3 allocation-rules aren’t really
significant.

Preferably closed-list. Who knows the candidates & their suitability to
carry-out the platform, than the central-committee that wrote the platform?
What, they wrote the platform but we can’t trust them to order the
candidate-list?  …but, given the party-phobic culture here, I’d propose
open-list.

Some open-list systems use Cumulative Voting to vote for candidates, but it
seems to me that a first-proposal should be simple. …with each ballot
voting for only one candidate.

An advantage of voting only for one list-candidate is that the system is
implamentable at zero expense.

Then voting for candidates would amount to an SNTV election among the
proposed candidates. Nothing wrong with that.

One solution that has been used in SNTV was for a faction to suggest that a
certain specified set set of its members vote for each particular one of
the candidates that it’s numerous enough to elect.

That member-set could be designated by a range of member-numberings  or by
name, based ranges of the right size chosen in the alphabetical ordering of
member-names. Or even by region-boundaries chosen to contain the right
number of members.

But there’s something simpler:

Each individual voter could probabilistically  implement Cumulative voting
by randomly choosing among the set of voters that hir faction is big enough
to elec all of.

If your faction is big enough to elect 3 candidates, then randomly choose
one of those 3 to vote for.

Finland exemplifies what I’m referring to. A standout exemplary simple
open-list system. But, as I mentioned, I wouldn’t use districts.

A quota of people in a region are free to elect someone in their region…or
not. Anyone there should also be free to help elect anyone anywhere.

Slovakia elects at-large. …& Slovakia has population size similar to an
average U.S. state.

Netherlands elects at-large. …& Netherlands ha several times the population
of an average U.S. state.

So there’s no reason to say that states are to big for at-large PR.

I just wanted to emphasize that I’d prefer a list-PR Parliament.

PR should be offered among a set of proposals for state electoral-reform.

But admittedly PR is a bid drastic fundamental change, arguably harder to
get than a better single-winner method.

So we in the U.S. are more interested in the more feasible single-winner
reform.

On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 07:03 Filip Ejlak <tersander at gmail.com> wrote:

> First thing: it's surprising how all the options that have been mentioned
> are single-winner methods, despite the poll subject not being worded in
> such a restrictive way. Are multi-winner options allowed as well, or should
> this be a different poll? Because it needs to be said that *every
> legislative election needs proportional representation*. I guess any
> single-winner method, no matter how good, will be bad in comparison with a
> PR method. So if multi-winner options were allowed in the poll, I would
> nominate *STV *(a Condorcet-compliant variant would be better if there
> was any polynomial one with good recognition; an optional indirect element
> - like GVT, but strongly improved - would also be nice).
>
> And speaking of single-winner methods, in my opinion *Woodall* and
> *Benham* seem to be the best, at least among the well-known ones. While
> Woodall (especially Schwartz Woodall) is perhaps marginally better, Benham
> is so easy to explain (and it's a very obvious/natural way to make IRV
> actually good) that it should be seriously considered by voting reform
> campaigners. So I'd like to nominate these two.
>

> Michael Ossipoff <email9648742 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, that’s true. It’s the reason why reform is needed, & the reforms
>> should be compared to the worse current alternatives to show the need.
>>
>> I nominate:
>>
>> Approval
>> RP(wv)
>> Schulze
>> MinMax(wv)
>> IRV
>> Plurality
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 4, 2024 at 04:06 John T Whelan <john.whelan at astro.rit.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Given the purpose of the poll, I think FPTP should also be included,
>>> since that's what the real world propositions are presumably to replace.
>>>
>>> John Whelan
>>> jtw24 at cornell.edu

>>> RP(wv)
>>> Schulze