[EM] Margins Sorted Top-Ratings

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 3 20:24:31 PDT 2024

Ted,

You asked me a while back to explain how Margins Sorted Top Ratings
"fails Independence from Clones".

The answer is that wearing that badge I think it technically doesn't,
because if Ratings ballots are used
I think a (say) pair of candidates have to be given the same rating on
every ballot to qualify "clones".

But if we instead call it  "Margins Sorted FPP(Whole)" using ranking
ballots, then it can fail Clone-Winner
as in this example:

34 C
33 A>B
32 B

The FPP order is C>A>B and C pairwise beats A and A pairwise beats B
(and that is all we need to know)
so C  wins.

Now say we add a clone of C, X.

18 C>X
16 X>C
33 A>B
32 B

Now the FPP order is A>B>C>X and as before no adjacent pair is pairwise
out of order, i.e A (still) pairwise
beats B and B pairwise C and C pairwise beats X, so cloning C changes
the winner from C to A.

I find this the more natural and useful way of looking at it.

Chris Benham