[EM] Reply to Rob regarding RCV

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 22:43:47 PDT 2023

This burial ploy will backfire if every elimination is completed by "take
down", i.e. taking down with it all of the candidates defeated by it.

But I see your point ...  a simple, proposable, burial resistant Condorcet
efficient method is not that easy to find.

The "with take down" trick makes any elimination method burial resistant
... including Sequential Pairwise Elimination ... a method that has been
routinely used for ages in deliberative assemblies (and long recommended by
Robert's Rules) but not in large public elections because the repeated
queries aspect makes it cumbersome.

Ironically, the same technology that makes "instant" Hare runoff possible
makes SPE based on the same ballots even more efficient (because of the
summability of the pairwise defeat matrix).

How many people understand this?

The reliability of Hare because of long experience is no greater than that
of SPE ... it's just that nobody knows that it's now available for public
political elections ... not only parliaments, etc.

SPE (with take down):

While more than one candidate remains, eliminate the pairwise loser between
the two least favorable agenda items ... along with every item defeated by
it.

Again it should be prefaced by words to the effect... "In the very rare
case that every candidate suffers a pairwise defeat it is even much more
rare that the  resulting preference cycle is due to an innocent lack of
judgment. Methods that make that presumption of innocence inevitably fall
into the trap of the manipulators that caused the artificial cycle. The
following version of SPE will make their unilateral burial ploy backfire
onthe manipulators by electing their least favorite member of the
artificial cycle that they created by their unilateral burial of the
sincere CW" ... or something to that effect.