[EM] L. Bruce Anderson; anyone certain of his whereabouts?

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Thu Sep 14 03:15:13 PDT 2023

On 9/14/23 01:25, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> In the VERY early days of the EM-list (1996), Bruce Anderson (who I
> believe often published under the name "Lowell Bruce Anderson")
> participated in discussions here.  Here's a link to the first EM-list
> conversation that Bruce participated in:
> http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com//1996-March/thread.html#98252 <http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com//1996-March/thread.html#98252>
>
> Back in 1996, my ISP was pretty cheap about providing storage, but it
> was all-around cheap (as I recall, I paid $96/year for Internet access,
> which included a free Majordomo mailing list and web hosting space).
> Regardless, when someone tried to send a Microsoft Word doc (which could
> be tens....nay HUNDREDS of kilobytes), I threatened to bring down the
> banhammer on that mailing-list member.  But Bruce had a draft paper that
> he wanted to have members of the list review, and he didn't have a place
> to host his Word docs.  He hoped that I could do it.
>
> I didn't save a digital copy of his manuscript, but I did save a paper
> copy that appears to have been professionally bound at Kinko's.  I
> regret not offering web hosting for his Word doc, and I regret not
> saving a digital copy.  I've scanned the first couple of pages of
> Bruce's work.  I haven't tried calling the phone numbers on the cover,
> but I'm virtually certain those phone numbers don't work.  I tried the
> email address, but it bounced.
>
> Any helpful hints for getting in touch with Bruce, or is it (sadly) too
> late for fruitful attempts by mere mortals?  I don't know how old Bruce
> was when he mailed me his draft paper.  I was (vaguely) a full-grown
> adult early in my career, but I'm guessing Bruce had been in the
> workforce a bit longer than me.  Now that I'm 27 years older, I fear the
> worst, and I'm kicking myself for not keeping in touch with him.

I found an obit for a Lowell Bruce Anderson here:
https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/chicagotribune/name/lowell-anderson-obituary?id=2686512
Again, I don't know if it's him, but it does list the Institute for
Defense Analyses. So it's possible you're too late, but if not:

Perhaps you could contact the IDA and ask if they could point you in the
right direction? Their contact page, https://www.ida.org/contact-ida,
lists communications at ida.org as a possible email address for doing so
(although strangely it's listed under the "Systems and Analyses Center".)

He has also contributed to the journal "Homeland Security Affairs", e.g.
https://www.hsaj.org/resources/uploads/2022/05/3.3.4.pdf. This journal
is run by the Center for Homeland Defense and Security,
https://www.chds.us/c/. Their contact page lists a mailing address,
though that's a bit more of a long shot I guess.
https://www.chds.us/c/contact-chds/

Springer lists his contact address of 2009 as the IDA.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00355-008-0327-7
as does this paper from 2013:
https://www.inderscienceonline.com/doi/epdf/10.1504/IJAMS.2013.057111
(use sci-hub to read if you don't have access). It could still be out of
date (as it also gives his email  address as the one you tried), but it
suggests the IDA may know more.

There is a Lowell Bruce Anderson on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/lowellbruce.anderson/ but I don't know if it's
him. (I don't use Facebook myself.)

-km