[EM] Approval-enhanced IRV (take 2)

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Wed Sep 13 00:03:31 PDT 2023

It is very difficult (if not impossible)  to modify IRV without causing
it to lose some criterion compliance
that a lot of its supporters like.  This is part of the case that it is
in its way a good method, certainly compared
to STAR.

49 A 24 B 27 C>B| Here, with the C>B voters extending their approval to
B, the winner in this suggested "approval-enhanced" method is B. But
plain IRV meets Later-no-Harm, which a lot of people like. In this
example if the 24 B voters change to B>C (even without approving C) then
the winner would change from B to C, breaking LNHarm.

49 A 24 B>C 27 C>B|

Now the new IRV winner is C and C  also now pairwise beats both the
other candidates.

I am sure that a more complicated example could be found that
demonstrates that it also fails Later-no-Help, so maybe Toby
was right in calling this a "kludge" after all.

Chris Benham