[EM] Derivation of Identric-mean as round-up point for Bias-Free method

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 22:04:05 PDT 2023

On Tue, Sep 5, 2023 at 23:59 Richard Lung <voting at ukscientists.com> wrote:

> Just a preliminary remark. Divisor methods and quotas some times
> distinguished.

I don’t know what you mean by that.

I didn’t say that the divisor methods are quotas. I didn’t say that quotas
are divisor methods.

I defined “quota” for its use in what I was saying. That use of that word
isn’t new or unusual. It’s found in divisor method discussion.

> Thus there is the Droop quota and corresponding D'Hont divisor method.

I don’t know what you’ve heard of, but I’ve never heard of Droop quota in a
definition or discussion of d’Hondt.

But maybe someone has proposed a method that he calls “d’Hondt”, & maybe
his method uses the Droop quota, which I’ve heard of being sometimes
proposed, & sometimes used, in STV.

> Divisor methods regarded as belonging to apportionment

That term was probably first applied to apportionment proposals, but
nonetheless d’Hondt is the Jefferson divisor method, & Saints-Lague is the
Webster divisor method.

Those two list-PR methods are usually defined, & at least partly
implemented by a systematic procedure, rather than the by the
implementation often or usually specified by the definitions of the divisor
methods proposed & used for apportionment.  ..at least in earlier
apportionment discussion.

as by Jefferson and by Webster, not to carve out party seats, which is too
> restrictive of personal choice.

Carve out?

I’m not sure, but you seem to be saying that party-list PR restricts
personal choice.

But you didn’t say why you think so.