[EM] Bucklin

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 23:41:10 PDT 2023

Just briefly, I regard Bucklin as one of the best the best, as good as my
other favorites, & as deserving to be chosen.

I like a few of the best Condorcet versions, & they’re among my favorites
too, but Bucklin has usage-tradition, without the cycles &
computer-requiring count that tend to confuse people at first.

Its Stepwise-Approval count is as simple as a rank-count can be—arguably
the simplest.

If there’s so much indifference that no one gets majority approval, then
Approval strategy obtains.

Otherwise it’s without strategy problems.

Without (too much) indifference, it elects the CW.

It doesn’t share RCV’s feature of built-in repeal due to an angry majority
who are on the wrong end of RCV’ departures from the CW.

My favorite rank-methods:

MinMax(wv)
CW,Approval
Sequential-Pairwise
Bucklin
CTE

Of those, Bucklin is by far the easiest to explain & propose. Thereby the
best ranking method proposal.