[EM] Summability criterion: do I have this right?

Rob Lanphier roblan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 16:44:30 PDT 2023

Hi Kristofer,

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.  It was a long time ago that I learned
(not to my surprise) that most Wikipedia users only read the summary of an
article (i.e. the portion before the table of contents), and frequently
they only skim that.  So, here's the Wikipedia article about Summability:

...and here's what is stated in the summary:

> *Each vote should be able to be mapped onto a summable array, such that
> its size at most grows polynomially with respect to the amount of
> candidates, the summation operation is associative and commutative and the
> winner could be determined from the array sum for all votes cast alone.*

The good news: that's almost certainly more accurate than what I added to
the summary on electowiki (which apparently more accurately describes the
"Consistency criterion" than it does the Summability criterion).  The bad
news: most peoples' eyes glaze over when they hear math nerds explain the
difference between "grows polynomially" and "grows exponentially".  By the
time we start talking about big-O notation, they've already fled.

Is there a TERSE way of describing the summability criterion that is both
accurate and doesn't use jargon like "summable array", "associative and
commutative", and "grows polynomially".  It's OKAY if one uses jargon if
one can explain that jargon to a layperson in a single sentence, but it's
not great.  Just assume you're explaining the concept to someone that
barely passed American high-school algebra.

Rob