[EM] Summability criterion: do I have this right?

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Fri Oct 6 14:19:03 PDT 2023

On 10/6/23 06:45, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've made a change to electowiki's "Summability criterion" article:
> https://electowiki.org/wiki/Summability_criterion
> <https://electowiki.org/wiki/Summability_criterion>

Some further thoughts about that article: I have tried to make the
summability criterion definition very general and information
theoretical. For instance, the definition as listed in the article
doesn't depend on just what the summary combination operator is, as long
as it can't be used to cheat and turn non-summable methods summable.

Perhaps this is more confusing than enlightening - particularly the
parts about growing as log(V) in the number of voters.

In practice, pretty much every summable method I can think of (even
contingent vote, STAR, and majority judgment) use plain old addition to
combine summaries. For instance, combining Condorcet matrices is just
adding the cells in the two matrices together; combining Plurality
counts is also just adding up the votes per candidate; and combining
contingent vote summaries is just one Condorcet matrix and a Plurality
count per.

So maybe it would be better to come up with a simple idea that gets at
the gist of it, and then have a technical nitty-gritty section to patch
up all the loopholes... perhaps with examples for each method what their
summaries are (Condorcet matrices, positional counts, etc). But I'm not
sure how to do that; my prior answer is probably still a bit too
cumbersome to give an intuitive idea.

It's too bad we don't have any feedback from "mere readers" of
Electowiki... it's hard to know what level of detail to write at.

-km