[EM] Arrow/Gibbard and impossibility (Re: Scientific American and the "Perfect Electoral System")

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Mon Nov 13 12:55:30 PST 2023

On 2023-11-13 19:35, Richard, the VoteFair guy wrote:
> Just because it's impossible to get zero IIA failure rates doesn't mean
> "we have to let go of" it, in the sense of not trying to reduce IIA
> failures.
>
> Although all methods fail IIA, measuring HOW OFTEN those failures occur
> is insightful.  Some methods have much higher failure rates than others.
>
> As I've said before, I believe reducing failure rates is more important
> than regarding fairness criteria as pass/fail (yes/no) flags that are
> worth counting simplistically.

Suppose that a majoritarian method fails Condorcet. Then there exist
elections where the CW is X, but the method elects Y. Then eliminating
every candidate but Y and X makes X beat Y, so these elections have IIA
failure.

Suppose that there's a Condorcet cycle. Then every majoritarian ranked
election method fails IIA: suppose without loss of generality that the
method elects A, and that B beats A pairwise. Eliminating every
candidate but A and B leads B to win, hence an IIA failure.

Suppose a majoritarian ranked method passes Condorcet and the election
has a Condorcet winner. Then the method passes IIA for that election,
because eliminating any set of non-winning candidates still leaves that
candidate a Condorcet winner.

So if we want to minimize IIA failure, and IIA failure exists whenever
we can remove a set of candidates who did not win and thus change the
winner, we would want to pass Condorcet.

-km