[EM] Arrow/Gibbard and impossibility (Re: Scientific American and the "Perfect Electoral System")

Richard, the VoteFair guy electionmethods at votefair.org
Mon Nov 13 10:35:52 PST 2023

Just because it's impossible to get zero IIA failure rates doesn't mean
"we have to let go of" it, in the sense of not trying to reduce IIA
failures.

Although all methods fail IIA, measuring HOW OFTEN those failures occur
is insightful.  Some methods have much higher failure rates than others.

As I've said before, I believe reducing failure rates is more important
than regarding fairness criteria as pass/fail (yes/no) flags that are
worth counting simplistically.

Richard Fobes
The VoteFair guy