[EM] Fwd: Some thoughts on Condorcet and Burial

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 11:39:32 PST 2023

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Michael Ossipoff <email9648742 at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Nov 5, 2023 at 11:23
Subject: Re: Some thoughts on Condorcet and Burial
To: Forest Simmons <forest.simmons21 at gmail.com>

Two other methods that seem to me to be autodeterrent are:

Smith//SP

Apply SP(Borda)to the Smith-set.

(…though plain SP(Borda) by itself seems autodeterrent too.)

Smith//Approval:

Elect the Smith member with highest implicit Approval.

On Sun, Nov 5, 2023 at 11:10 Michael Ossipoff <email9648742 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> making clear some of the limitations of the UD box, as well has showing us
>> by his Solid Coalitions methods some of the previously unknown
>> possibilities of working within that box.
>>
>> I have suggested some of the "pockets of predictability" within the UD
>> domain that have not been fully exploited for burial resistant methods ...
>> at the same time coloring outside the UD lines as you have (eg with
>> approval cutoffs) to surpass some of the UD limitations.
>>
>> I'm glad that you did not give up In helpless futility .... nut have
>> pragmatically pressed on.
>>
>> In general, impossibility proofs are valuable by making clear the
>> assumptions that entail impossibility ... so we know which lines we have to
>> color outside of if we want to avoid dead endends.
>>
>> The three candidate two stage fresh ballot runoff is one non UD tool
>> tailor made for finishing elections that surpass the boundaries of UD
>> possibilities.
>>
>> Sometimes with manipulated ballot sets we can narrow down to two
>> candidates that form a satisfactory basis for a two candidate fresh ballot
>> runoff.
>>
>> But when you push the boundaries further, a two candidate runoff isn't
>> good enough.
>>
>> But in the case of a three candidate Landau set ... the right kind of
>> fresh ballots runoff is adequate for recovering the buried candidate.
>>
>> I doubt there has ever been (or ever will be) a real public election
>> ballot set with more than three uncovered candidates.
>>
>> It is easy to show that when a CW is buried, it will still be a member of
>> (not only the Smith set), but also a member of Landau.
>>
>> Smith may have a large clone set of "buses", but (with statistical
>> certainty) one of these buses  will cover all of the others.
>>
>> These tools are outside the scope of Woodall ... who would surely
>> appreciate their usefulness were he still in the loop.
>>
>> fws
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 3, 2023, 1:32 PM C.Benham <cbenham at adam.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> Forest,
>>>
>>> Douglas Woodall in a 1996 article demonstrated that Condorcet is
>>> incompatible with Later-no-Help.
>>>
>>> By simple logic we know that any method that fails Later-no-Help must be
>>> vulnerable to Burial strategy.
>>>
>>> Therefore your quest to invent a completely burial-proof Condorcet
>>> method is futile.
>>>
>>> https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0166218X9600100X
>>>
>>> Theorem 2. (a) Even if truncated preference listings are not allowed,
>>> CONDORCET is incompatible with
>>> PARTICIPATION, MONO-RAISE-RANDOM and MONO-SUB-TOP.
>>>
>>> (b) In general, CONDORCET is incompatible with LATER-NO-HELP,
>>> LATER-NO-HARM, MONO-RAISE-DELETE, MONO-SUB-PLUMP and,
>>> in the presence of PLURALITY, MONO-ADD-TOP.
>>>
>>> (c) There is no election rule that sutisfies LATER-NO-HELP and
>>> LATER-NO-HARM,
>>> and that also satisfies CONDORCET whenever there are no truncated

>>> 3 B>C>A
>>> 3 C>A>B
>>> 2 A>C>B
>>> 2 B>A>C
>>> 2 C>B>A
>>>
>>> Consider Election 3. By symmetry, the result must be a 3-way tie; but,
>>> by the axiom of discrimination, there must be a profile P
>>> arbitrarily close to this (in the proportions of ballots of each type)
>>> that does not yield a tie. Without loss of generality, suppose a is elected
>>> in P.
>>>
>>> But c becomes the Condorcet winner, and so must be elected by
>>> CONDORCET,  ...if all the abc ballots are replaced by a (contrary to
>>> LATER-NO-HELP),
>>> or if all the bac ballots are replaced by a (contrary to
>>> MONO-RAISE-DELETE and MONO-SUB-PLUMP), or if all the abc ballots are
>>> replaced by acb
>>> (contrary to LATER-NO-HELP and LATER-NO-HARM together).
>>>
>>> This proves (a), (c) and three parts of (b).
>>>

>>> The three relatively burial-resistant Condorcet methods that meet
>>> mono-raise and don't ask or allow voters to enter an explicit approval
>>> cutoff that I like are
>>> Smith//Approval (ranking),   Margins-Sorted Approval (ranking), and
>>>
>>> Smith//Descending Acquiescing Coalitions.
>>>
>>> Not allowing voters to rank among unapproved candidates increase the
>>> risk for Burial strategists that they will simply elect their "bus".
>>>
>>> By itself DAC (one of Woodall's inventions) meets Later-no-Help and
>>> Participation (both incompatible with Condorcet) but can behave very oddly
>>> and badly in the presence
>>> of one or two weak should-be-irrelevant candidates (which is why I'm
>>> wary of Smith,DAC).
>>>
>>> So defining it thus: Voters rank from the top, equal ranking and
>>> truncation is fine.  Eliminate and drop from the ballots all the candidates
>>> not in
>>> the Smith set.
>>>
>>> Ballots "acquiesce" to a candidate or set or subset of candidates (a
>>> "coalition") if they vote no other (outside the set or subset) candidate
>>> strictly above any of them.
>>>
>>> Number all the possible coalitions according to how may ballots
>>> acquiesce to them. Start with the highest-numbered and disqualify all the
>>> candidate not in it.
>>> Proceed to the next-highest numbered that contains any not-yet
>>> disqualified candidates and disqualify those not in it, and so on until one
>>> candidate is left undisqualified.
>>>
>>> 46 A
>>> 44 B>C (sincere might be B or B>A)