[EM] Some thoughts on Condorcet and Burial

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 11:10:27 PST 2023

Forest—

But the incentive for the potential buriers is the matter of whether
burial’s expectation is positive or negative.

You can have a procedure that probably elects the CW, but that doesn’t
figure in the expectation. What matters for the burial’s expectation is the
relative-probabilities of electing Bus vs BF, & their utilities for the
burier.

We can’t affect the utilities of those two outcomes for the potential
buriers. We can only increase the factor by which the probability of
electing a Bus is greater than the probability of electing BF.

 Black (with Borda applied to the Smith-set) & SP, it seems to me, are more
likely to elect Bus than BF.

Likewise, it seems to me, so is your suggestion to elect the candidate wit
the largest wv against the candidate who has the most wv against hir in a
defeat. I call that Greatest Win Against Greatest Loser (GWAGL).

But, for the greatest likelihood of electing a Bus in a many-candidate
election, doe anything else equal your suggestion to apply takedown
(primary & secondary) to SP (agenda-ordered by Borda)?

I call that method TSP.

…partly to stand for Takedown-SP…

…& partly because TSP is also the name for the powerful cleaning alkali,
Trisodium Phosphate.

TSP cleans it up !!!

What’s that? We aren’t allowed to use Trisodium Phosphate?

That’s okay, we aren’t allowed to use an adequate voting-system either.

On Sun, Nov 5, 2023 at 01:14 Forest Simmons <forest.simmons21 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> Participation (both incompatible with Condorcet) but can behave very oddly
>> and badly in the presence
>> of one or two weak should-be-irrelevant candidates (which is why I'm wary
>> of Smith,DAC).
>>
>> So defining it thus: Voters rank from the top, equal ranking and
>> truncation is fine.  Eliminate and drop from the ballots all the candidates
>> not in
>> the Smith set.
>>
>> Ballots "acquiesce" to a candidate or set or subset of candidates (a
>> "coalition") if they vote no other (outside the set or subset) candidate
>> strictly above any of them.
>>
>> Number all the possible coalitions according to how may ballots acquiesce
>> to them. Start with the highest-numbered and disqualify all the candidate
>> not in it.
>> Proceed to the next-highest numbered that contains any not-yet
>> disqualified candidates and disqualify those not in it, and so on until one
>> candidate is left undisqualified.
>>
>> 46 A
>> 44 B>C (sincere might be B or B>A)
>> 10 C
>>
>> In this example all candidates are in the Smith set.  The acquiescing
>> coalitions are  AC 56,  BC 54,  AB 46,  A 46,  B 44,  C 10.
>>
>> AC disqualifies B,  BC disqualifies A so  C wins.
>>
>> That would be great for fans of  the Minimal Defense criterion, but would
>> be sad if the B>C voters are sincere and the C voters are
>> truncating against B.
>>
>> Chris B.
>>

>> On 4/11/2023 12:05 am, Forest Simmons wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 30, 2023, 6:21 PM C.Benham <cbenham at adam.com.au> wrote:
>>

>>> Why do we support the Condorcet criterion?  For me there are three
>>> reasons:
>>>
>>> (1) Failure to elect a voted CW can give the voters who voted the CW
>>> over the actual winner
>>> a potentially very strong, difficult (if not impossible ) to answer
>>> complaint.
>>>
>>> And those voters could be more than half the total.
>>>
>>> (2) Always electing a voted CW is (among methods that fail Favorite
>>> Betrayal) is the best way to minimise
>>> Compromise incentive.
>>>
>>> (3) Limited to the information we can glean for pure ranked ballots
>>> (especially if we decide to only refer
>>> to the pairwise matrix), the voted CW is the most likely utility
>>> maximiser.
>>>
>>> If there is no voted CW , then the winner should come from the Smith
>>> set.  Condorcet is just the logical
>>> consequence of Smith and Clone Independence (specifically Clone-Winner).
>>>
>>> Some methods are able to meet Condorcet but not Smith, but hopefully
>>> they get something in return.
>>> (For example I think Min Max Margins  gets Mono-add-Top and maybe
>>> something else).
>>>
>>> So coming to the question of which individual member of the Smith set
>>> should we elect, I don't see that a
>>> supposed, guessed-at "sincere CW" has an especially strong claim,

>>> 48 B>>>C>A
>>> 03 C>A>>>B
>>>
>> My favorite burial proof  method is to elect the nemesis of the nemesis
>> of the (repeated) Submidway Approval Elimination winner.
>>
>> Max Approval is 52
>> Min Approval is 3
>> Midway is 27.5
>>
>> So we eliminate C.
>>
>> Updating approvals we have 52 for A and 48 for B. Midway is 50. B is the
>> only Sub Midway candidate so A is the SubMidway Approval winner.
>>
>> The nemesis of A is C, and C has no nemesis because it not pairbeaten. We
>> respect the Condorcet Criterion and elect C, a very weak CW.
>>
>> There is no way out of it if we want a Condorcet Criterion Compliant
>> method.
>>

>>> Suppose that all voters get about the same utility from electing their
>>> favourites.  In that case A is the big utility
>>> maximiser.
>>>
>>> Now suppose that this is say the first post-FPP election, and the voters
>>> are all exhorted to express their full
>>> rankings, no matter how weak or uncertain some of their preferences may
>>> be, because we don't want anything
>>> that looks like the (shudder) "minority rule" we had under FPP.
>>>

>> This reminds me of the practice omanipulative judges in the US warning
>> jurors to ignore their sacred right of "Jury Nullification" (inherited from
>> English Common Law).
>>
>> Those lying (by intimidation) judges are a disgrace to their office ...
>> and should be stripped of their holy robes ...  imho.
>>

>>> So they vote:
>>>
>>> 49 A>C
>>> 48 B>C
>>> 03 C>A
>>>
>>> C is the voted CW. For some pro-Condorcet zealots, this is ideal. No
>>> sincere preferences were reversed or
>>> "concealed", resulting in the election of the "sincere CW".
>>>
>>> (In passing I note that in most places if the non-Condorcet method
>>> IRV/RCV were used, A would be uncontroversially
>>> elected probably without anyone even noticing that C is the CW.)
>>>
>>> Backing up a bit, suppose that instead of the voters being exhorted to
>>> fully rank no-matter-what, they are given the
>>> message "this election is for a serious powerful office, so we don't
>>> want anything like GIGO ("garbage in, garbage out")
>>> so if some of your preferences are weak or uncertain it is quite ok to
>>> keep them to yourself via truncation or equal-ranking."
>>>

>> That warning should be mandatory ... as should an honest effort to "fully
>> inform" a jury of their most sacred rights predatimg even the Magna Carta.
>>

>>> So they vote:
>>>
>>> 49 A
>>> 48 B
>>> 03 C>A
>>>
>>> Now the voted CW is A.     Should anyone be seriously concerned that,
>>> due to so many voters truncating, that some other
>>> candidate might actually be the "sincere CW"?
>>>

>> Your example shows the wisdom of electing the ballot CW when there is one.
>>
>> In fact, all of our burial resistant methods elect the voted CW when one
>> exists. But when one does not exist we suspiciously suspect that its
>> absence was most likely  caused by subversion of a CW, since that is by far
>> the easiest way to create a beat cycle ... whether innocently or with
>> "malice aforethought."
>>

>>> For me, if voters have the freedom to fully rank but for whatever reason
>>> choose to truncate (and/or equal-rank, assuming that
>>> is allowed) a lot of that is fine and the voting method should prefer
>>> not to know about weak and uncertain preferences.
>>>
>>> The type of insincere voting that most concerns me is that which
>>> produces outrageous failure of Later-no-Help, achieving by order-reversal
>>> Burial what could not have been done by simple truncation.
>>>
>>> 46 A
>>> 44 B>C (sincere is B or B>A)