[EM] Bucklin

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 08:11:40 PDT 2023

The Nanson inspired methods including SubMidwayApproval Elimination that
became (ever so briefly) my favorite ratings based method ... is still my
favorite method  .... for finding the BFF Burier Faction Favorite ... which
it does even more reliably than Ranked Pairs wv or ordinary Nanson.

But once you have a reliable way of detecting the BFF ... all you have to
do is elect the Smith candidate with the most losing votes against it ...
or what is the same ... the candidate with the most wv against the
candidate with the most wv against the BFF.

So that is the simplest burial proof method.

But now, another method arises as a powerful and simpler rival public
proposal:

Elect the SP winner based on the Universal Tie Breaking Order agenda.

The catch is that the UTBO is ratings based: if a set of candidates is
tied, the winner of that set is the candidate that remains after
successively eliminating the candidates (among the tied) that are not tied
for the most ballots on which they are rated above level R ... as R
progresses from zero to a level that leaves only one candidate uneliminated.

Here's my best attempt at adapting this Universal Tie Breaking method to
ordinal ballots:

Decide the winner of a tied set of candidates by eliminating all of the
candidates not tied for most implicit approval repeatedly until there
remains only one candidate ... being sure to update the IA counts between
elimination rounds.

This is messier than the ratings based version ... and may fail
monotonicity ... I'm not sure ... but the vote transfers between rounds
that are responsible for IRV's monotonicity failure probably have a similar
effect here.

If a deterministic  clone independent monotonic decisive ordinal tie
breaking method is ever found, then the simplest such method should be used
to set the agenda for Sequential Pairwise Elimination.

If that method turns out to be susceptible to burial ... keep looking!

Or start using cardinal ballots for their ordinal information ... don't be
such Universal Domain purists. Join forces with the STAR camp ... help them
exploit the potential in their ballots with the simple decisive Universal
Tie Breaking Order by using it not only for the most non manipulable
deterministic conclusive clone independent monotonic tie breaking order
ever ... but (since you already have it as the tie breaking arm of your
method) also as the most logical ready made agenda order for Sequential
Pairwise Elimination ... or for your favorite Sorted pairwise finish order.

fws

On Thu, Nov 2, 2023, 9:41 PM Forest Simmons <forest.simmons21 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> to the Lone Ranger.
>>
>> So a range of zero to ten should be more than adequate for the following
>> "instant" version of "Midrange Approval Runoff":
>>
>> Lacking a ballot  CW ... then implement the following "tie breaker" ....
>>
>> For R from zero to nine ...
>> ... for each candidate X, let  X's Tie Breaking Approval TBA(X) be the
>> number of ballots on which X is rated strictly above R.
>> Then eliminate every candidate X such that TBA(X) is strictly less than
>> halfway between the min and max values of TBA for the current round R.
>> Next R.
>>
>> This instant version of approval runoff has now become my favorite use of
>> score/range/grade/judgment ballots.
>>
>> For comparison, Traditional Nanson eliminates below mean Borda Count
>> candidates.  Use of median instead of mean, and level of approval instead
>> of Borda, improves on Nanson in two ways ...
>> 1. It makes the method much easier to hand count.
>> 2. It confers clone independence on the method.
>>
>> Nanson is known to be Condorcet Efficient ... which leads me to suspect
>> that this method's Condorcet Completion to be a seamless patch ... as
>> seamless as possible while preserving the Favorite Betrayal Criterion (if
>> it is indeed preserved in the stand alone version ... in other words,
>> without the fiat compliance with the Condorcet Criterion).
>>
>> In comparison with other median based methods like Majority Judgment and
>> Bucklin ... well judge for yourselves ... but I think its simpler to
>> understand and to execute.
>>
>> Everybody loves "Usual Judgment" until they try to wrap their mind around
>> its exhaustive (and exhausting) tie breaking procedure.
>>
>> This method is as conclusive as any extant Condorcet method.
>>
>> fws
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 2, 2023, 8:49 AM C.Benham <cbenham at adam.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> There has been more than one version of Bucklin that has been used or
>>> proposed.
>>>
>>> I think it is now generally agreed that least bad is to use some sort of
>>> limited-slot grading/rating ballot,
>>> with voters free to give as many or as few candidates as they like the
>>> same grade and to skip grades if
>>> they want.  (So it is just a version of Average Ratings)
>>>
>>> If ratings ballots are used then above-bottom equal ranking should get
>>> the whole (not fractional) votes
>>> interpretation, but if say a ballot equal top-ranks 3 candidates that
>>> ballot gives a whole vote to each in
>>> the first "round" but then "sits out" rounds 2 and 3.
>>>
>>> (Not doing that was shown to make the method fail mono-raise).
>>>
>>> If we are talking about one of these versions then we are talking about
>>> a method that meets Favorite Betrayal
>>> and Majority for Solid Coalitions and Later-no-Help.
>>>
>>> But there is a very strong incentive for voters to just submit approval
>>> ballots, and in a competitive election with
>>> informed voters the extra complexity versus simple Approval doesn't seem

>>> 30 B
>>> 09 C