[EM] Bucklin

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 20:32:55 PDT 2023

It seems to me that we need a version of Bucklin that simulates the
following Nanson like manual approval runoff:

After each approval round eliminate every candidate whose total approval
count in the current round has come out to be less than halfway between the
lowest and the highest approval count of the current round.

If you had 1000 candidates, you could expect about ten rounds to get down
to the Lone Ranger.

So a range of zero to ten should be more than adequate for the following
"instant" version of "Midrange Approval Runoff":

Lacking a ballot  CW ... then implement the following "tie breaker" ....

For R from zero to nine ...
... for each candidate X, let  X's Tie Breaking Approval TBA(X) be the
number of ballots on which X is rated strictly above R.
Then eliminate every candidate X such that TBA(X) is strictly less than
halfway between the min and max values of TBA for the current round R.
Next R.

This instant version of approval runoff has now become my favorite use of
score/range/grade/judgment ballots.

For comparison, Traditional Nanson eliminates below mean Borda Count
candidates.  Use of median instead of mean, and level of approval instead
of Borda, improves on Nanson in two ways ...
1. It makes the method much easier to hand count.
2. It confers clone independence on the method.

Nanson is known to be Condorcet Efficient ... which leads me to suspect
that this method's Condorcet Completion to be a seamless patch ... as
seamless as possible while preserving the Favorite Betrayal Criterion (if
it is indeed preserved in the stand alone version ... in other words,
without the fiat compliance with the Condorcet Criterion).

In comparison with other median based methods like Majority Judgment and
Bucklin ... well judge for yourselves ... but I think its simpler to
understand and to execute.

Everybody loves "Usual Judgment" until they try to wrap their mind around
its exhaustive (and exhausting) tie breaking procedure.

This method is as conclusive as any extant Condorcet method.

fws