[EM] Bucklin

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Thu Nov 2 08:49:41 PDT 2023

There has been more than one version of Bucklin that has been used or
proposed.

I think it is now generally agreed that least bad is to use some sort of
limited-slot grading/rating ballot,
with voters free to give as many or as few candidates as they like the
same grade and to skip grades if
they want.  (So it is just a version of Average Ratings)

If ratings ballots are used then above-bottom equal ranking should get
the whole (not fractional) votes
interpretation, but if say a ballot equal top-ranks 3 candidates that
ballot gives a whole vote to each in
the first "round" but then "sits out" rounds 2 and 3.

(Not doing that was shown to make the method fail mono-raise).

If we are talking about one of these versions then we are talking about
a method that meets Favorite Betrayal
and Majority for Solid Coalitions and Later-no-Help.

But there is a very strong incentive for voters to just submit approval
ballots, and in a competitive election with
informed voters the extra complexity versus simple Approval doesn't seem
to buy much.

40 A>B
30 B
09 C
02 X

81 ballots.

This example highlights the method's disadvantages compared with IRV/RCV.

I don't consider meeting Majority for Solid Coalitions to be an adequate
standard of majoritarian representative goodness.

I propose the "Dominant Coalition" criterion:

*If a the number of ballots on which a set S of candidates is
ranked/voted all below no outside-S candidate is greater than the maximum
pairwise opposition that any inside-S candidate gets from any outside-S
candidate, then the winner must come from set S.*

The single-candidate version (that could be relevant for a method that
fails Clone-Winner) is "Dominant Candidate".

*If the number of ballots on which candidate X is ranked/voted below no
other candidate is greater than X's maximum pairwise opposition,
then X must win.*

Another criterion I like (and I think I coined) is Irrelevant Ballots
Independence: adding or removing ballots that contain no information
relevant to any of the remotely competitive candidates should not change
the result.

Another criterion met by IRV/RCV but not Bucklin is Mutual Dominant
Third : "if a set S of candidates that pairwise beat all the outside-S
candidates are voted above all the outside-S candidates on at least one
third of the ballots then the winner must come from S."

In the example A is the Dominant Candidate and the Mutual Dominant Third
candidate (and so of course the CW) but the Bucklin winner
is B.
(A lot of people like IRV's compliance with Later-no-Harm. Of course
here if the A>B voters had truncated then A would have won.)

But if we remove the 2 X ballots the winner changes from B to A,
(because the majority threshold lowers from 41 to 40, so now there is no
second round) a failure of Irrelevant Ballots independence.

Chris B.