[EM] Agenda Based Progression

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 10:38:36 PDT 2023

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023, 10:07 PM Forest Simmons <forest.simmons21 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Calisthenics tutorials make extensive use of "progressions", so that
> almost anybody with enough patience can progress by degrees over time from
> a leg assisted partial range "Australian Pullup" to a full range of motion
> standard form pullup.
>
> That's what we are trying to do with our "Pathways to Success" thread ...
> to make a gradual progression from relatively primitive to more solidly
> advanced methods.
>
> This progression is a progression of agenda based methods ... with
> Sequential Pairwise Elimination SPE right in the middle of it.
>
> Of all the single winner methods that have been used for centuries, SPE is
> the most solid, respectable, versatile, and unknown to the public at large
> ... though well known to organizations that convene Deliberative Assemblies
> goverened by Robert's Rules of Order.
>
> We have two things to consider... 1. How to set a good agenda ... and 2.
> How to process the agenda to extract a winner from it.
>
> The agenda plays the same role that seeding does in a tournament. It gives
> a nominal order that serves more as a tie breaking order than anything
> else. In the usual case (when rock paper Scissors ties are non existent),
> the agenda order has no effect on the outcome. The most important thing
> about the agenda is that it be based on some deterministic statistic
> correlated with democratic support and not easily distorted by
> proliferation of clones among the candidates.
>
> The agenda processing must be based on the majority rule principle, and
> must have built in safeguards against strategical manipulation by
> unscrupulous influencers ... the kinds of manipulations that create the
> rare, but not rare enough, cycles that can make the outcome depend on the
> agenda order.
>
> We will touch on these aspects in our examples.
>
> These concerns are not limited to agenda based methods ... but good agenda
> based methods (like the ones in our progression) deal with them more
> transparently and effectively than any other deterministic, single winner

I should have included Universal Domain  in this qualification ...
comparing non UD methods like Majority Judgment or Approval Sorted Margins
with the methods in our progression is like comparing Steriod Jacked Body
Builders with Natties.

methods that we know of ... and we have carefully compared the methods in