[EM] Cloneproof tournaments

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 10:26:41 PDT 2023

What if we just put the RP winner at good end of the agenda?

Assuming the sequntial elimination starts at the bad end (as in SPE) it
works for any ABCA cycle ... so it must also work for any cycle of such
cycles, if not for the twisted prism ... which we should check.

For practical purposes the top cycle will not be as complicated as the
twisted prism.

Here's how the ABCA cycle works:

First note that SPE ignores the non Smith candidates.

If the agenda order of the top cycle is in the cyclic order like A>B>C,
then nothing from below C survives the encounter with C ... and the A>B>C
order is preserved.

If the agenda order is anti-cyclic ... like
A>C>B, everything before B is eliminated ... so the first Smith comparison
eliminates C ... leaving A>B, etc.

The way I think of it is in terms of bubble sorting. SPE is like the first
pass of bubble sorting from below. The bubble sort top will never change
after that pass.

Every order has even or odd parity relative to the cycle ... and every swap
changes the parity.  If the 3 member Smith set starts out with even parity
(zero swaps from the ABCA  cyclic beat order) it will stay that way because
bubble sorting swaps only Pairs out of pairwise order. If it starts out
with odd parity, the first swap will restore it to even parity ... so the
swapping never reaches the Smith candidate highest in the agenda order.

Does that make sense?

-Forest