[EM] Simple Tournament Proposal

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Wed Mar 22 12:58:13 PDT 2023

On 22.03.2023 18:54, Forest Simmons wrote:
> Is clone dependence a problem ... teaming or crowding in tournaments?

In one sense, every method might be clone dependent. Suppose that
playing against, say a positional chess player is draining and requires
a lot of concentration. Then if you face a particular positional player
ten times instead of one, it might do such a number on your endurance
that even though you beat them all, you lose other contests you might
have won, thus making you lose in the end.

However, if we suppose that A>B always leads to A>B1, A>B2, A>B3 etc.,
then it depends only on the tournament format and not on your endurance
as a player. Round-robin tournaments where wins count x points, ties 1,
and losses zero would reduce to Copeland and could have crowding
problems. Accelerated systems (e.g. Swiss) would probably also be
vulnerable to the rating strategy that Paul mentioned, although this
definitely isn't my area of expertise.

I guess that elimination tournaments could also be clone vulnerable - it
would depend on the seed order. An interesting question would be: what
property needs to hold for a seed and bye system for the resulting
elimination tournament to be cloneproof? Does any such rule exist?
Dealing with byes in particular seems very tricky.

Seed systems also have other requirements, like strong players not
meeting too early, which could further constrain the field of viable
systems. While searching, I found this paper, but I have only cursorily
looked at it:
http://www.oxfordcroquet.com/tech/knockout3/What_is_the_Correct_Way_to_Seed_a_Knockout_Tournam.pdf

-km