[EM] Burial Detection & Correction

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sun Mar 12 10:11:24 PDT 2023

Hi Forest,

Not sure if I totally follow but the topic did have me thinking about the measurement of
the backfire rate of burial strategy. In simulations I normally assess the ability of
burial to work, without considering any threat of defensive strategy (presumably done via
truncation). I also measure minimal defense aka SDSC, which is sort of related, ensuring
that in at least one situation, burial "won't work." But we don't know how often that means
it does nothing, or backfires.

I'm trying to think of a new metric something like this: Suppose A is elected. Suppose no
A>B (relative order) voters rank B over anyone. Now some B>A voters attempt to bury A. Now
ask how often is the result that A still wins, vs. B now wins, vs. another candidate now
wins. (Interestingly, even an MD method could let B win sometimes, as MD is only a
guarantee for a full majority. It probably depends on what the method is doing to achieve
MD.)

The logic here is that if A initially won, then supporters of A might know that A was a
viable candidate, and that they could leave off any support for some other candidate
perhaps specifically in order to thwart a burial effort against A. The question of whether
A voters would reasonably do that is dodged, by only looking at scenarios where the A
voters observably *are* doing this and A is, of course, winning. (It's possible A had not
been winning before the hypothetical truncation on their part, and that's actually
necessary because the "before" case includes any scenarios where a burial strategy against
A succeeds through taking advantage of A voters' lower rankings.)

A considerable obstacle in measurement is that a scenario could have multiple possible
candidates "B" and there could be multiple ways to specify the ballots of burying voters
and multiple ways to select which voters those will be.

Another question is, what does "good" performance here look like? Of course, we don't want
burial to succeed. But do we definitely want it to backfire? If it backfires "often," then
in theory people won't want to do it. That's a little speculative. It might depend on the
method or situation. In real use, we need to not see backfiring burial strategies, or else
the method will probably get rescinded. Either backfiring must be impossible under the
method, or else burial must be too clearly foolish to try.

If the desirability of a high (theoretical) backfire rate has to be assessed on a case by
case basis, then we would probably need yet another metric to be able to interpret the first
one.

Kevin
votingmethods.net