[EM] A Path to Success

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Fri Mar 10 09:45:38 PST 2023

On 3/9/23 23:14, Forest Simmons wrote:
> Kristofer suggested introducing a sequence of methods m0,  m1, m2, ...
> forming a path of small steps gradually progressing from some simple
> method m0 towards some ideal end method m_infinity.
>
> Any ideas?

Here are some:

BTR-IRV to Benham (if the voters don't care about monotonicity or
summability);
first preference Copeland to Benham (if they care about strategy
resistance but not monotonicity);
Minmax to Schulze, Ranked Pairs or River (if failing Condorcet loser is
not too tough a sell); possibly to some uncovered RP variant after this?
STAR to Smith,Range or Smith|Range (for cardinal ballots; X|Y is just
notation I made up now for renormalizing after excluding everybody in
the X set as I couldn't find a better designation for it)

These are all finite sequences. /Perhaps/ Approval -> STAR ->
Smith,Range would work, but it would require a ballot format change.

On a related subject, as I understand it, FairVote likes to point out
that their preferred single-winner method is a stepping stone to
multiwinner. The IRV-likes above easily generalize to STV by adding the
surplus election and redistribution steps, e.g. STV-ME (BTR-IV).

I once devised a multiwinner Ranked Pairs method with a polynomial
runtime (in the number of voters and candidates), but in practice the
polynomial is too large for large elections; it requires solving large
linear programs. There's also CPO-STV and Schulze STV, but they're very
complex.

Range has PRV, so possibly something like PRV -> Sequential Monroe ->
Monroe (or PRV -> Sequential Ebert -> Ebert). For Majority Judgement or
Bucklin there's BTV/EAR and my MCAB (though the latter is also pretty
complex).

Condorcet methods in general? STV-CLE, but it feels kind of like
cheating; the step from Condorcet to bolting it onto STV may feel a bit
too artificial.

-km