[EM] Covering Pairs

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 17:41:53 PST 2023

Can anybod find a simpler example of a candidate set that cannot be covered
by some pair of its members?

This is a cycle of cycles created by cloning each member of an ABCA cycle
... replacing A with an a1a2a3a1 cycle, B with a b1b2b3b1 cycle, and C with
a c1c2c3c1 cycle.

It's tedious but not impossible to construct a ballot set that creates this
cycle of cycles.

No pair covers it.

But the triple {a1,a2,b1} does cover it, as does {a3,b2,c1}, for example.

Two questions:

Q1: Is there a simpler example of a candidate set not covered by some pair
of candidates?

Q2: What is the likelihood of such a pair appearing in a public election?

-Forest